Sunday, August 30, 2009

Blackberry chicken

Here's another dish I made but forgot to take a photo of because I was anxious to chow down. If you're curious about the beautimous nature of this dish, go to the recipe link here for 5 spice grilled chicken thighs with blackberry glaze. I mentioned this recipe in July when I made the uber lemon-y Moroccan Chicken with lemon and olives. While the Moroccan chicken was a disaster, the Blackberry 5 spice chicken was a hit. This is definitely going to be my go to chicken thigh recipe.

The only thing I changed about this recipe was that I didn't brush on the glaze. I kept it reserved on the side to use as a dipping sauce. The recipe has you pouring on the glaze after the chicken comes off the grill. I was worried that the glaze might be too sweet. Leaving it on the side allowed me to control how much sweetness I wanted with each bite. I also guessed correctly that Blockette might turn her nose up at a sauce that wasn't mustard, ketchup or BBQ sauce.

I think it would be interesting to try this recipe basting on the glaze while the chicken is grilling. It sounds like it would be tasty all sticky, charred and caramelized over the grill flame. Or, conversely, it might just burn up into a nasty blackened stinky mess. Good thing Mrblocko is in charge of the outdoor flame. Then I won't be the one to blame if dinner gets ruined!


5 Spice Chicken with Blackberry Glaze from My recipes.com
1 tablespoon five-spice powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
8 (3-ounce) skinless, boneless chicken thighs
3/4 cup sugar-free seedless blackberry jam (such as Smucker's)
3 tablespoons cider vinegar
1 tablespoon water
3/4 teaspoon grated peeled fresh ginger
Fresh blackberries (optional)

Prepare grill. Combine first 3 ingredients in small bowl. Sprinkle spice mix evenly over chicken. Place chicken on grill rack coated with cooking spray; cook chicken 6 min on each side or until done. While chicken grills, combine jam and next 3 ingredients in a nonstick skillet. Simmer over med-low heat 8 min til glaze is reduced to 1/2 c. Drizzle glaze evenly over chicken; garnish with blackberries, if desired. Serve immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a little comment. Comments are like candy. Tasty tasty validating candy!