Monday, January 28, 2013

Crockpot Soda Pop Chicken and Rice

I had seen this recipe for chicken and rice over at Six Sisters' Stuff last year and thought it sounded quick, easy and tasty.

 Maybe there is something off with my crockpot because neither the chicken or the rice wanted to cook.  After cooking the chicken on low for 3 hours and then on low for another 2 hours after I added the rice the chicken was still undercooked in parts and the rice was crunchy.

So I cranked the heat on the crockpot up to high for another hour and a half.  This cooked the chicken thoroughly, but the rice was still slightly underdone.

I was pretty hungry by this time so I decided to just live with the rice on the crunchy side.

Also, because I had to check on the chicken more than I wanted to, most of the chicken broke up into chunks.  I opted to shred the chicken into large pieces so they were more uniform.  This also allowed for an equal distribution of the sauce.

The sauce was ok.  I think it was on the bland side for our taste buds though.  When Blockette and I ate some of the leftovers, I added some lemon pepper and shredded Mexican cheese blend.  The cheese had a bit of jalapeno in it which gave the dish the flavor we thought it was lacking.

We also ate our portions with carrots as a chunky sort of dip.  This also added another flavor dimension with the added benefit of eating lots of veggies.

I don't know that I would make this dish again.  I can never seem to get a slow cooker recipe that calls for rice to work out properly. Last time I had the opposite problem and the rice turned into gummy mush.  Although out of the two recipes that called for the rice to be cooked in the crockpot, I'd say this one was the winner.  At least I could reheat this dish in the microwave with a bit of water and steam the rice a bit more so it was fully cooked.  Once rice is over cooked and mushy there is no turning back.

Crockpot 7-up Chicken and Rice by Six Sisters' Stuff
3 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breasts (I used 4)
10.5 oz. can of cream of chicken soup
12 oz. can of 7UP or lemon lime soda (I used Sprite Zero)
1 c. rice (Minute Rice is best apparently, but I only had regular long grain rice)
1/4 c. chicken broth (I had to use water as I was mistake that I had chicken stock in the freezer)

Place chicken breasts in the bottom of your slow cooker.  Cover with soup and 7UP.  Cover and cook for 2-3 hours on low.  Add rice and chicken broth and cook for 2-3 more hours until chicken is cooked through.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a little comment. Comments are like candy. Tasty tasty validating candy!