Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Two Homemade Mustards

Lately I've been seeing a lot of things online for homemade mustards. The whole process seemed quite simple so I thought I'd give it a try myself.

I chose the recipe for Homemade Mustard from James's Recipes.  I made one batch with Red wine (with pomegranite and acai) vinegar and honey, and another with Cider Vinegar and brown sugar.

 I let them cure for a week like the directions said before testing them.

The verdict was....undecided.

I had Mrblocko bring one of the jars with him to work to spread on his sandwiches instead of the store bought grainy mustard.  After about a week he decided that he just didn't like it.  Neither of us could figure out how to make the mustard more palatable. 

Was it too salty, not salty enough?  Too sweet, or not sweet enough?  Too acidic, not acidic enough? 

We just couldn't say.

Maybe we just like the chemicals they put in the store bought stuff? 

Anyhow, this is one experiment I won't be attempting again.  I'll leave that to the professionals!

Wholegrain mustard from James's Recipes
2 tbsp Yellow (white) Mustard Seeds
2 tbsp Brown Mustard Seeds
100ml White Wine or Cider Vinegar
1/2 tsp Sea Salt
1 tsp Sugar

In a small (non metallic) container, jar or glass tumbler, add the mustard seeds and cover with the vinegar. Leave to stand for 3 days – do not refrigerate. To prevent the kitchen from smelling of vinegar, cover with cling film. Check periodically – the seeds will swell as they absorb the liquid. Add additional liquid to prevent drying out, It doesn’t matter if you add too much. After 3 days, drain of the surplus liquid and reserve. User a hand blender, food processor or pestle & mortar to grind the seeds into a paste. Add the salt, sugar and continue to blend. Add a little extra of the liquid to get a mustard with a good consistency Bottle into sterilized jars and if possible leave to mature for a few days before using. It should keep for several months and doesn’t need refrigerating.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a little comment. Comments are like candy. Tasty tasty validating candy!