Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Vegan Pumpkin Crumble Ice Cream

Ice cream in the winter?  Yes.  I'm one of those weird people.  Growing up ice cream was such a treat that I would eat it when offered, no matter the weather.

This ice cream is healthy to boot!  Well, healthier than a poke in the eye.  And it's Vegan too.

I guess this ice cream could be super healthy, but I had to go and ruin that!

The original recipe called for pumpkin, bananas, vanilla and spices.  I added 1/4 maple syrup because the banana taste was too strong for me.  I think I also over seasoned the ice cream.  I added 1 t of cinnamon and 1 t of pumpkin pie spice.  Next time I'll reduce the spices to 1/2 t each.

As if adding maple syrup wasn't enough, I had to go and add a crumble crust topping!  Do you remember this Dutch Apple Pie with a crumble crust?  Well I used that crust recipe for the topping.  Yes it was amazing!

OK.  Maybe Mrblocko didn't think it was amazing.  I think he is all pumpkined out so what does he know.  Blockette and I sure enjoyed it!

Vegan Pumpkin Crumble Ice Cream adapted from Vegan Ventures and My Culinary Companion
3 1/2 bananas, frozen and cut into coins
heaping 1/3c pumpkin puree
1/2 t each pumpkin pie spice and cinnamon
1 t vanilla
1/4 c maple or pancake syrup

topping
1c flour
1/2 c br sugar
1/4 c oats
6T margarine

Puree all ingredients in a food processor until smooth.  Chill for 2 hours.  While the ice cream is hardening, preheat the oven to 350F.  Combine the topping ingredients and press on a silpat or parchment lined cookie sheet.  Bake for 15-20 minutes until light golden brown.  Let cool and break into bite size chunks.  The edges will be crispier than the middle.  We liked having the mixture of crunch and soft pieces in our ice cream.  Serve the ice cream in bowls and sprinkle with crumble pieces!   Don't eat it too fast or you'll get a brain freeze!

1

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a little comment. Comments are like candy. Tasty tasty validating candy!